I went to the farmers' market yesterday still thinking about the hash I had eaten at Zingerman's. So, it was no wonder that the first thing I purchased were sweet potatoes. I ended up with a nice, colorful assortment of vegetables which made for a very lively roast.
1. Coat with flavorful olive oil and season with sea salt and pepper:
1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
4 small purple potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 medium zucchini, cubed
1 summer squash, cubed
4 to 6 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 large package of small mushrooms, cleaned, uncut
2. Bake in a 400 degree oven in an oiled roasting pan until tender, approximately 30 minutes
3. While vegetables are roasting, steam or boil a bunch of chopped and stemmed kale until tender. Drain well and squeeze out excess water.
4. Melt a pat of butter and/or olive oil in a small skillet and pan fry a sliced Vidalia onion or two large sliced shallots until golden.
5. Stir the cooked kale into the roasted vegetables. Top with the golden onions or shallots. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.