Thursday, April 12, 2007

Cantonese Green Bean Stir-Fry


Here is the latest Vegetarian Times recipe I have tried, from page 30 of the April 2007 issue. It was a great success! Pedro keeps raving about it. The recipe calls for green beans, mushrooms, tempeh, a yellow bell pepper (I didn't have one, so I used a little bit of hot xkatik pepper), garlic, ginger, green onions and an easy-to-prepare marinade/sauce. Actually the pepper substitution was why the recipe was such a hit with Pedro, as xkatik chile is abundant in Yucatan. It's a pepper that Pedro loves, and we happened to find it at the farmer's market. I'm sorry but I do not know the name of the pepper in English or even in Spanish, only in Mayan. Makes for an interesting life here! Anyway, the tempeh absorbed the flavors of the marinade very well. Served on short grain brown rice. Vegetarian rather than vegan, due to content of honey in marinade.

Here is the chile I used. Maybe someone knows what it is. It's hot, much hotter than a banana pepper.

No comments: