Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Chilaquiles


This is one of the first dishes that my mother-in-law (mi suegra) taught me how to make. It is a versatile dish, one that can use various salsas, cheeses or protein sources. For example, sometimes they have scrambled eggs in them or a green salsa, or will have cream, etc. There is a recipe in the April 2007 Vegetarian Times on page 35 that looks delicious, but I haven't tried it yet. Their method of making it is quite different from the method I normally use. Here is the method used for the pictured dish:

Pedro and I made this together. While I was making some chiltomate (also known as salsa de jitomate), Pedro lightly fried strips of freshly made corn tortillas in about 2 tablespoons of oil. (We are so happy that there is now a tortilleria where we live and we can get freshly made tortillas). He fried them until they were starting to get crunchy, but still were pliable. Then he added the Quorn and chiltomate and sauted until the Quorn was defrosted and the flavors were absorbed. Then he topped the dish with shredded cheese. Lacto-ovo vegetarian.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: