Sikil Pak is a Yucatecan salsa or dip made with roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds). It is a a dish that the Mayans have been eating for a very long time. You can find pepitas in Mexican grocery markets or natural food stores. I was craving it yesterday, and it was a great way to make use of my ripe tomatoes. Recipe below:
- 3 tomatoes, roasted
- 1 cup of pepitas, roasted
- 1/2 a large white onion, roasted
- 1 roasted habanero chile, seeded
- a handful of fresh cilantro leaves
- salt to taste
1. I roasted my tomatoes, onion and habanero chile on one comal (griddle). On the other, I roasted the pepitas. I stirred/turned to allow everything to toast or brown on all sides.
2.After everything is roasted, I put the all of the pepitas pictured in a food processor and processed well until the seeds were ground into a paste.
3. Then I added to the food processor the three roasted tomatoes, the half of the onion, one of the habaneros (seeded) and a nice handful of fresh cilantro. Pulsed in the food processor until well blended. Salted to taste.
The rest of the ingredients seen were used to make salsa de jitomate. Vegan.