Monday, April 2, 2007

Sikil Pak



Sikil Pak is a Yucatecan salsa or dip made with roasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds). It is a a dish that the Mayans have been eating for a very long time. You can find pepitas in Mexican grocery markets or natural food stores. I was craving it yesterday, and it was a great way to make use of my ripe tomatoes. Recipe below:

Sikil Pak

  • 3 tomatoes, roasted
  • 1 cup of pepitas, roasted
  • 1/2 a large white onion, roasted
  • 1 roasted habanero chile, seeded
  • a handful of fresh cilantro leaves
  • salt to taste

1. I roasted my tomatoes, onion and habanero chile on one comal (griddle). On the other, I roasted the pepitas. I stirred/turned to allow everything to toast or brown on all sides.

2.After everything is roasted, I put the all of the pepitas pictured in a food processor and processed well until the seeds were ground into a paste.

3. Then I added to the food processor the three roasted tomatoes, the half of the onion, one of the habaneros (seeded) and a nice handful of fresh cilantro. Pulsed in the food processor until well blended. Salted to taste.

The rest of the ingredients seen were used to make salsa de jitomate. Vegan.

No comments: