Monday, April 9, 2007

Wet Burritos



I grew up eating wet burritos in Michigan thinking that they were true Mexican food. But, of course they aren't! Pedro had his first American-style burritos and his first wet burritos in Michigan too. In Florida restaurants, I don't often find burritos served the way I used to eat them in Michigan. So, I make my own. We both like them a lot. They are very versatile. Basically a wet burrito is a flour tortilla wrapped around your chosen filling, then lined up in a baking pan, covered with a tomato-based mildly spicy sauce, sprinkled with cheese (often cheddar or a mix including cheddar) and then baked in the oven.

I made a vegetarian bean filling by sauteeing the following ingredients: 3 green onions, 1 zucchini, and 2 chopped tomatoes with cumin. Then I stirred in a can of refried pinto beans,1 steamed & cubed sweet potato, fresh lime juice, and cilantro. There is enough filling leftover to make many more wet burritos. When I assembled the burritos, I used whole wheat flour tortillas and folded them around steamed fresh spinach and my bean mixture.

Here is a recipe my family has traditionally used for

Wet Burrito Sauce:

  • 1 16oz can tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 12 oz can tomato paste
  • 1 cup of water
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce or soy sauce

I didn't have a whole can of tomato paste, or a small can of tomatoes in my pantry. Plus I had some leftover chipolte chile in adobo sauce that I wanted to use before it got bad, so I made this variation: one 28oz can roasted tomatoes, 2 heaping tablespoons tomato paste, 2 cloves of garlic and my leftover chipolte chile in adobo sauce. It was spicier than normal, but we loved it. It could have been improved by putting it in the blender or food processor, but I didn't feel like getting extra dishes dirty.

5 comments:

Pieceful Jane said...

Yum! Haven't made these in ages, but I think my family will be eating wet burritos in the near future.

Kathleen said...

Pedro was very happy to come home to wet burritos, as it was probably two years since I had made them. Now, I know I'll be making them several more times in the very near future. Then it'll probably be months and months until the next time. That's our wet burrito cycle! I was talking to Mary (in Michigan) on the phone as I was preparing dinner, I didn't know what I was making at first. But talking to her, I was reminded of all the wet burritos I've had with Mary at The Beltline Bar, and that's how I was inspired to make them. Just so happened to have the ingredients!

J-fer Rose said...

Yum! I wanna make some very soon! Although they make me think more of Taco Boy than of the Beltline Bar...

Kathleen said...

Yes, Taco Boy! How true! If I had been talking to you that night rather than Mary, it would have been thoughts of Taco Boy that would have inspired me to make them! Since, I used to go there with you guys! Beltline Bar was a haunt Mary and I went to...

Anonymous said...

Now I want to go to Taco Boy! Although I did go to Fred's with Karen yesterday. That was good too.