Saturday, May 12, 2007

Vanilla-Apple Syrup

I have been experimenting with reductions a bit lately as a way of getting intense flavors. So, this recipe caught my eye on page 78 of the May issue of Vegetarian Times. The recipe is Fruit Salad with Vanilla-Apple Syrup. The syrup is good on fruit, plain yogurt, in iced tea to sweeten it, on pancakes as I show above, or really it is up to your imagination.

Vanilla-Apple Syrup
2 cups apple juice
2 2-inch strips lemon zest or orange zest (I used 4 strips of orange)
1/4 vanilla bean (I used 1/2 of a bean)

Place apple juice and zest in small pot. Slice vanilla bean in half and scrape seeds into juice. Add bean to pot as well. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Depending on your pot and your stove you can leave it simmering at medium high, or reduce the heat to medium low. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until it becomes syrup-like and has reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove the zest and bean pod before the syrup gets too thick. Cool to room temperature. Use as a topping on your chosen dish.

Note: I have a new camera I'm testing out. Seeing if I like it. Don't know how to use all of the features yet. It's nice to at least have one that works! Also of note, if you want to see the images larger, just click on them.

No comments: