Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Plum Torte

On Monday I met the CSA farm van that delivers to my area. I never know what they will have for sale. This week, I was able to get multi grain bread, goat milk, goat cheese, feta and a bag of various organically grown fruit. Within my bag of fruit were about 10 plums, something I don't normally buy. Pedro likes them, so he will sometimes buy them. But I always just walk past them. They are not my favorite.

Fearing the plums wouldn't all get eaten while they are perfectly ripe, I decided to find a way to use them in a baked good. I looked around various websites for recipes, and Orangette had a link to the recipe that finally inspired me. It was a very easy and fast recipe and had the added benefit of using six of my ripe plums. I figured that if I didn't enjoy this plum torte, I would freeze it into individual pieces for Pedro to enjoy as snacks. But, I think this recipe may just have converted me to seeing the merits of plums! The minute I put it into the oven, the house filled with such a heavenly aroma. I'm having a very hard time resisting the urge to cut a piece and give it a try. But, I shall wait until after dinner.

Update: Wow! I actually like cooked plums! The torte turned out fantastic! It is moist and flavorful, and it was great with coffee. No slices will make it to the freezer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So???? How was it? (I'm drooling just looking at the photo.)

Kathleen said...

Yummm! It was soooo good! We had it again with our coffee at breakfast!

I saw on the Orangette site that an alternate recipe uses apricots instead of plums, and uses 1/3 cup of ground blanched almonds in place of 1/3 cup of the flour. I think that sounds wonderful too!