Thursday, July 12, 2007

Oatmeal with Goji Berries

Goji berries are something I had been meaning to try for some time now, but hadn't as they are quite expensive. The February issue of Vegetarian Times suggested looking for them in smaller Asian markets, rather than natural foods stores, to get them for a cheaper price. In any event, I finally bought some, and I am glad I did! They are considered a super food, jam packed with nutrition. They have anti-aging properties, antioxidants, iron, protein, vitamin C, vitamin A, beta-carotene, fiber... Just look at the package's nutrition label. They are great in dried form, sprinkled on salads or on yogurt or granola, etc. Or you can add them to pancakes or muffins or other baked goods as you would raisins. There are lots of uses.

I used some in my oatmeal by adding 1/4 cup to the water before it came to a boil. This allowed them to become more hydrated by the time the oatmeal was added. It was a delicious touch.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: