Sunday, September 30, 2007

Blue Cornbread Muffins

In Austin, we were served blue corn in the form of cornbread and even gorditas (A Mexican dish, pictured at bottom of this entry). I have had blue corn tortilla chips before, as they are relatively easy to find. But I had never seen blue corn flour/meal where I live, so I had never cooked with it before. So, in Austin, I bought some blue corn meal. I really wish I had bought more, as I think I have a new obsession! Wow, it is so good!
These muffins were so delicious. The recipe was very easy, and it was printed on the back of the bag.

Blue Corn Bread Muffins
adapted from Arrowhead Mills

1 cup Blue Corn Meal
1/2 cup pastry flour (OR: 1/4 cup spelt flour plus 1/4 cup barley flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
1 tablespoon maple syrup (OR agave nectar OR honey)
1 egg (or make vegan by using 1/4 cup of egg substitute)
1 cup milk (OR rice milk OR soy milk OR water)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Mix dry ingredients. Beat egg and stir in milk and sweetener. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
Pour batter into six large muffin cups (either oil the pan first or use paper liners).
Bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden on top.

Above is a lunch I ate at Mr. Natural in Austin. On the far right is a gordita made with blue corn flour. By the way Mr. Natural is a fantastic place with great authentic-tasting completely vegetarian (mostly vegan) Mexican food along with baked goods made with all natural ingredients, no sugar, and whole grain flours. Their whole wheat vanilla conchas and their dark chocolate muffins are crazily good!

No comments: