Sunday, March 18, 2007

Waffles with Strawberry Sauce

I celebrate Florida's early spring strawberries. One thing I make with them is strawberry sauce. I just puree most of them in my food processor and then chop the rest. Then I simmer them on the stove w/a thickener, a bit of lemon juice, and then I sweeten to taste. I used cornstarch to thicken today and a bit of turbinado sugar. Vegan.

Here is the recipe I use as a guide, I actually tweak it quite a bit, but it's a good starting point:

  • 2 cups berries, one cup of them sliced
  • 1 Tablespoon cornstarch (I usually use less, start w/a teaspoon or two, because i don't add water)
  • sugar to taste (the recipe calls for 1/2 cup sugar but that's always been way too much for me- and I'll sometimes use a non-sugar sweetener)
  • 1/2 cup water (optional in my opinion)
  • 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
  1. Wash berries and blend one cup in blender. Slice the other cup.
  2. Put the berries in a small saucepan. Sweeten to taste. Dissolve the cornstarch in couple of tablespoons of water. Stir into the berries.
  3. Heat the berry mixture over moderate heat, stirring constantly, to bring to a boil. Boil one minute. Remove from heat. Add lemon juice.

Pedro made the Whole Grain Waffles using a recipe listed on allrecipes. He altered it by using soy milk, adding a bit of cinnamon and chopped walnuts. As you can see, our waffle iron makes heart shaped waffles. We topped the waffle with a very generous serving of strawberry sauce. Ovo vegetarian, with my substitutions.

No comments: