Friday, October 5, 2007

Babaganoush

I have been wanting to post a recipe for baba ganoush, but I have found it's a very hard dish to photograph. So, this photo will have to do. I wish I had garnished it with at least some paprika or parsley, but that's hindsight. Anyway, it is a dish I make regularly, so if I ever get a better photo, I'll post it here.

Babaganoush
(Eggplant Dip)

1 large or 2 small eggplants, roasted and peeled
2 to 4 cloves of garlic, roasted with the skins intact, then peeled
salt
juice from 1 lemon
1 tablespoon tahini (ground sesame paste) - optional
a few tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
optional garnishes: chopped parsley, paprika, kalamata olives, extra olive oil

1. Roast the eggplant and garlic. There are a several methods, chose your favorite. For example, you can use a grill to cook them until tender. Or you can bake them in the oven. There are several ways to do this. Some people say to bake the eggplant whole (uncut and unpeeled) in a 400 degree oven for an hour. Then set aside and cover with a towel for about 15 minutes and then peel using your fingers. I don't normally do it that way. I prefer to peel and then chop them into 2 inch cubes before cooking them. Then I place them and the garlic cloves on a baking sheet greased with olive oil, stirring to coat the pieces with the oil. I line my baking sheet with a Silpat mat as to need minimal oil. I season with salt and bake for about 30 minutes or up to 45 minutes if needed, until tender, stirring occasionally.

2.Remove papery skins from garlic cloves. Put eggplant, garlic, lemon juice and tahini (if using) in a food processor. Turn on and pour olive oil, one tablespoon at a time into the top of food processor so it drips in as it is running. Stop and scrape down sides and taste from time to time. Add only as much olive oil as necessary to get a nice texture and flavor, to control the calories. Season with salt as necessary.

3. Garnish to your liking and serve as a dip with pita bread, carrot sticks or other veggies. It is also good as a spread in sandwiches.

No comments: