First of all, Happy World Vegetarian Day! We started the day off with a terrific breakfast. I love to make French Toast when we have crusty rustic bread that is starting to go stale. We topped the toast with baked pears, above and with baked apples, below.
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut pear in half and remove stem and seeds. Core apple.
3. Place fruit sections, peel side down, on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle them with maple syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon.
4. Put in the oven and bake while preparing the French toast. The fruit will be done about the same time as the toast. Check for tenderness by piercing with a fork. See below.
1. In a large shallow bowl whisk the batter ingredients:
1 tablespoon almond butter
1 teaspoon maple syrup, agave nectar or honey
1/4 cup milk
pinch of salt
dash of vanilla
2. As shown below, dip the pieces of rustic bread in the batter to coat.