Monday, June 4, 2007

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes

At the library this weekend, I found a book I've seen on blogs for some time now, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. So, I checked it out, and it's a great, fun little cookbook. I'm even planning to buy it. Since it has been a month since my last chocolate (it was in the form of birthday cake), I decided to try the Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes. They actually turned out, even using my recent baking substitutions! You can find dozens of photos of the book's great cupcakes on the web, but I've only found one recipe written out. So, in order to not break etiquette, I am not posting the recipe for these cupcakes, but I am listing the ingredients: coconut milk, ground flaxseeds (or flaxseed meal), all-purpose flour (I substituted a mixture of barley and spelt flours), corn flour, almond meal, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, sugar (I substituted maple sugar), canola oil (I substituted mild olive oil), vanilla extract, almond extract (I omitted this). Mine are topped with sifted powdered date sugar, cocoa powder and cinnamon.

Oh, and here is the link for the recipe from this book for Cookies 'n Cream Cupcakes which appeared in the Washington Post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I printed the Cookies 'n Cream Cupcakes recipe when it appeared in the Washington Post. I've been meaning to try it ever since! The recipe was accompanied by a cute article on vegan baking. I have some vegan friends, so I do make vegan treats at times, and I love to frequent my local vegan bakery (you would NEVER know their baked goods are vegan).

ColorJoy LynnH said...

The cupcakes look very tasty! Hey, I heard you might be in Michigan? We would soooo love to see you. Let us know if it's even slightly possible, OK???

Been traveling far too much. Got home yesterday from 3+ days in Columbus OH, the weekend before an overnight in Toronto. I'm ready to stay home with my sweetie for a while.