Monday, January 14, 2008

Weight Goal Reached!

I have great news! I hadn't weighed myself in a few weeks, but had been getting so many comments on how thin I am looking, and have noticed a difference in the fit of my clothes. So, I decided it must be time to check the scale again. To my surprise, not only have I reached my goal, but I lost a pound more than my goal! So my body mass index is now at a normal, healthy level. I feel better than I have in years. I have energy I didn't have a year ago, and now can wear clothing in a size I hadn't worn in years and years.

I am happier with the food I am eating now than I have ever been in my life. I don't feel deprived of anything, as I have not been on a diet, in the weight-loss definition of diet. What I did was change my way of eating; it is a permanent change. I am amazed because I lost a significant amount of weight (at least 45 pounds), while eating all of the foods I love.

I think a lot of times diet is defined in negative terms: in terms of what a person doesn't eat. This is especially true when you are a vegetarian. I am a vegetarian, so I DON'T eat meat. But it doesn't really stress all of the great things I DO eat.

So here is a summary of what I DO eat:

breads
whole grains
nuts and seeds
tofu and tempeh
legumes/beans
eggs
whole milk
cheese
yogurt
coconut milk
butter
vegetables
sea vegetables
herbs and spices
fruits
oils (mainly olive oil, walnut oil, grapeseed oil, coconut oil and flaxseed oil)
desserts that have nutrition and are sweetened with agave nectar, maple syrup, maple sugar or date sugar
coffee
tea
salt

Basically I eat food that is natural, whole, organic when feasible, grown locally when possible, and in season when possible. I choose the best possible food available to me within my budget, based on how I want to live.

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Great news indeed! Congratulations. I am truly inspired. Thanks

Pieceful Jane said...

Weigh to go, Kathy!! I am well on my way with the weight loss too. Mine mostly from the change in diet due to diabetes and kidney stones. But it's coming off and staying off. WooHoo!

Anonymous said...

Hello, I pop into your blog periodically to see what's cooking. Congratulations on reaching (and exceeding) your goal weight. That is a huge accomplishment and I'm glad you were able to achieve it heating healthy vegetarian foods and not on some trend diet. Keep cooking up your healthy recipes and I'm certain you will find it easy to maintain your weight loss.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I pop into your blog periodically to see what's cooking. Congratulations on reaching (and exceeding) your goal weight. That is a huge accomplishment and I'm glad you were able to achieve it heating healthy vegetarian foods and not on some trend diet. Keep cooking up your healthy recipes and I'm certain you will find it easy to maintain your weight loss.

J-fer Rose said...

Congratulations, skinny! You know what is particularly exciting about this? Most Americans GAIN weight over the holiday season. To have reached your goal during the holiday season is PROOF to me that you've made a permanent change.

Anonymous said...

Kathleen, I am sooooooooo happy for you. I am glad you are sharing with people the right way to loose weight - TO CHANGE YOUR LIFESTYLE.

And also, as a vegetarian, we need to focus and educate others to focus on what we indeed DO EAT and not on what we don't. By focusing on the positive we derive so much more.

Way to go!!!!!!

Frantic Home Cook said...

Ok, just found your wonderful blog...Mexican, Spanish, artisan breads? What's not to love?

I'm particularly amazed by your weight loss and your dietary changes. I've been revamping our diet from a typical Southern-Bacon-Grease-is-my-friend diet to a healthy, almost vegetarian one. Your blog is an inspiration.