Monday, December 10, 2007

Storing Greens

This time of year, I have been getting a wide variety of greens in my weekly basket from my CSA farm. As soon as get my greens home, here is what I do to keep them in top shape until I get a chance to cook them. Since I usually get quite a large bunch, I have cut the top off a gallon milk container and I put a bit of water in the container. I place the stems of my greens into the container as if they were a bouquet. Then I cover the top of the greens with a tan plastic grocery bag and place it in the refrigerator. The greens will stay crisp and fresh for a long time. They can last weeks in this manner, depending on the type of greens. If I have a smaller bundle of herbs or greens, I will use a small empty jar to hold them instead of the large gallon jug.

No comments: