Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Maple-Oatmeal Scones

In the latest issue of Vegetarian Times (January/February 2008) there is a recipe on page 57 for Maple-Oatmeal Scones. What I like about the recipe is that it is mainly sweetened with maple syrup rather than white granulated sugar. These scones are especially good with a bit of maple butter spread on top before eating.

Maple-Oatmeal Scones, adapted from Vegetarian Times
makes 16 small or 8 larger

3/4 cup currants (I substituted with 1/2 cup chocolate chips, 1 teaspoon vanilla and the zest of one tangerine)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup spelt and 1/2 cup barley flour)
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar (or use maple sugar to reinforce the maple flavor)
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray, or line pan with parchment paper. If using currants, place them in a bowl, and cover them with boiling water. Set aside.
2. Whisk the flours together with the baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Add the butter pieces and rub the flour into the butter with fingers until the mixture resembles a course meal.
3. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the milk and maple syrup (and optional vanilla). Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture bit by bit until the dough just comes together. Drain the currants and stir into the dough (or add chocolate chips and zest instead).
4. Transfer dough to a floured surface or the parchment paper and pat the dough to one inches thick. If you want round scones, first pat the dough into a rectangle and then use a biscuit cutter to cut out the scones.. Then place on a sprayed baking sheet. If want to have pie slice-shaped scones, pat the dough into a circle on the parchment paper-lined baking pan, then slice it into slices with a knife, without separating the pieces. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until light brown on top.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

ColorJoy LynnH said...

I have been hoping to find a scone recipe I can convert to something I can eat. This might work. I can have rye, and a little spelt and a little oat. So maybe I'll sub spelt for wheat and rye for whole wheat and see what happens.

Cross fingers. I have some wonderful strawberry preserves (American Spoon... yum) just waiting for the right "something" that I can put it on.

We made strange bread tonight. A cross between tortillas, chapattis and Norwegian potato lefse. We made it from taro root and rye flour. I used a tortilla press lightly on them so they were the same size/thickness as a chapatti. Brian fried them in a dry skillet while I made them as fast as I could.

The balance of flour/taro needs work, but I think this has promise. The less grain I eat the better, so half root veggie in a "bread" is very good.

Hugs.