Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mini Pumpkin-Sage Balls

As a subscriber to Vegetarian Times Magazine, I was invited to vote for my favorite recipes submitted by culinary students for the Chef's Challenge 2008, the results of which appear in the March 2008 issue, now available. The recipe that won for the appetizer category was the Mini Pumpkin-Sage Balls, submitted by Mian Catalano of the ICE, New York. I have found that this recipe not only makes a great party appetizer, but it also can be used as part of the entree if made into either patties or larger balls. Also, I have found that these work nicely with a cream-based dip as an alternative to the recipe's recommendation of green pepper Tabasco sauce.

Pictured above is a pumpkin and a squash that I have roasted in a pan coated with a bit of oil for close to an hour at 400 degrees F. Then I scooped out the tender flesh into my food processor and processed until smooth. I used the resulting puree to make a double batch of the above Pumpkin-Sage Balls and also some Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins. I still have some puree leftover, which I have placed in my freezer to use for a future dish.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

ColorJoy LynnH said...

Would canned pumpkin work at all? I am still holding onto my refusal to buy a food processor or blender. I just do not want one more gizmo in my tiny kitchen workspace!!!

However, I love pumpkin everything. I have made recipes for pumpkin soup, bread (more than one), muffins, pancakes, you name it. I am very interested in the sage balls.

Have been deathly ill this week, haven't been that sick in 20 years or more. Finally yesterday I turned a corner, food sounded good and I could read again so I've been reading "An Invitation to Indian Cooking" by Madhur Jaffrey.

It's very readable and understandable, and adjusted to American groceries and measurements. The potato recipes sound very adaptable, one is maybe something like the pumpkin sage balls.

Unfortunately 80% or more of the recipes require ginger and garlic which I can't eat right now, but I will adjust or pick and choose until things change for me again.

Kathleen said...

Hi Lynn! Yes, absolutely, use canned pumpkin! It would work great for this recipe. [Note, it also would work fine for the muffins].

I just love roasting the squashes and pumpkins at home, as I can get great prices for them at the farmer's market. Plus it makes the house smell so heavenly!

HOpe you get better very soon, so sorry to hear you have been so ill.

Good luck w/the cookbook!

Ana said...

Yum, I am so glad to see a review of these here!
I also subscribe to VT and this recipe caught my eyes, I too want to try them!
Good to know they are good, to the menu they go!!
Ana