Friday, November 9, 2007

Turnips Au Gratin

I got some turnips with my basket of vegetables this week from my organic CSA farm. I was going to put them into a soup, but at the last minute, I was inspired to make them into a cheesy casserole along with a sweet potato. I served it with Agave-Glazed Tempeh and my Mixed Greens and Walnuts.

Turnips Au Gratin

3 turnips, cubed
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons of butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk, warm
dash of picante sauce (optional)
salt and pepper
grated cheese
whole grain bread crumbs

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Boil the turnips and sweet potato until tender, about 20 minutes. Save one to two cups of the water they boiled in. Drain the rest of the water. Set aside.

3. Melt the butter with the olive oil in an oven-proof pot. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Add milk and stir continuously until the sauce thickens.

4. Add the tender turnips and sweet potatoes and stir to combine. Add the reserved water from the turnips. Stir. Season with salt and pepper and optional dash of hot sauce.

5. Top with grated cheese and bread crumbs. Bake uncovered until the cheese melts and the bread is toasty, about 25 minutes.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: